As a cake maker I bake and eat a lot of cake. A lot a lot! From butter cakes to mud cakes I bake multiple cakes a week but there is one cake that holds a special place in my heart. Carrot cake! It has always been my favourite, so fluffy, fresh and packed full of delicious flavour.
Because it’s more socially acceptable to eat granola for breakfast I thought why not create a carrot cake granola! This granola has all of the wonderful flavours of carrot cake with non of the guilt for your brekky bowl. It is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and packed full of flavour thanks to the mix of spices, coconut and (the main event), carrots! Not only is it refined sugar free, it is gluten free (make sure you use GF oats), dairy free and vegan. I’ve got you all covered!
Check out those clusters…yum!
Tip for baking your granola: once the granola is golden, turn the oven off and leave the granola in there for an extra 15-20minutes. This will make the granola extra crispy and delicious!
Carrot Cake Granola
- 2 medium carrots
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup add more if you like it extra sweet
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- zest of half a lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a food processor with the grater attachment, grate the carrots. Or if you don't have a food processor you can grate by hand.
- Add in all other ingredients except for the oats, walnuts and coconut and mix until combined.
- Now you have a wet mixture, fold in the oats, walnuts and coconut. Folding these ingredients in makes sure you have granola and not a sloppy cake batter consistency.
- Spread the mixture out on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Tip for extra crunchy granola: once the granola is golden, turn the oven off and leave the granola in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve with yoghurt and fruit or on top of smoothie bowls!
Glenda Judkins says
Absolutely loved this granola. I enjoyed it with Greek yoghurt. I also shared it with family and friends and all had positive comments. Thanks Amie.
Thanks so much Glenda! I am so grateful you have been trying out the recipes 🙂