I’m calling it, this is the best notella slice ever! It has been tested on folks that love “healthy” treats and those that prefer the “traditional” kind and I am happy to report that both absolutely love it. And how could you not? There is nothing not to love.
What is “notella” you ask? Well it is the healthy sister of traditional Nutella, with no added sugars, just chocolate and hazelnuts. And let me tell you, that is all you need to get the gobsmackingly delicious nutella vibes from this slice.
The rich gooey dark chocolate is what gives this slice its decadence. It makes it the perfect slice to impress your morning tea guests or to bring to your next picnic. The great thing is, it freezes easily too (assuming you have enough left over to actually freeze). If you have unexpected guests you can whip this baby out of the freezer and pair it with a cuppa tea, you’ll be the favourite host in no time!
This slice, aside from its deliciousness, is also a cinch to make! I am a huge fan of a one pot recipe and this is one. All you need is a food processor which means you can spend more time eating the slice and less time washing up.
Be sure to tell me how much you love it!
Chocolate Hazelnut “Notella” Slice
- 1 cup hazelnut meal
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup almond butter I used roasted almond butter
- ¼ cup honey maple syrup for vegan substitute
- pinch salt
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 90 grams dark chocolate vegan if you require dairy free
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a square 8" cake tin.
- Add all ingredients except for the hazelnuts and chocolate into a food processor and mix until well combined. This may take a minute to come together well. The oils will come out of the hazelnut meal and coconut and help bind everything together.
- Add the chocolate and hazelnuts into the food processor and pulse a few times until they are roughly chopped. The slice is yummy with chunks but you can pulse until they are at your desired level of chunky.
- Push the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares and drizzle with melted chocolate if you're feeling fancy!