Get the ice cream ready, I have the ultimate dessert waiting for you. A spin on a classic, this fried banana split sundae is the ultimate ice cream treat!
It starts with crispy battered bananas rolled in cinnamon, served with ice cream and Barkers rich chocolate dessert sauce. Top it off with a sprinkle of toasted coconut and almonds and you have yourself an award winning dessert!
Fried bananas are really so quick and easy to make I can’t believe I haven’t made these sooner. The crispy outer coating and soft inside of the fried bananas is a textural delight. Paired with creamy ice cream and crunchy nuts, you will be running back for seconds!
Fried Banana Split Sundae
- 4 small bananas
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup water
- vegetable oil
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 scoops ice cream your favourite flavour
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut
- 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- Barker's Chocolate Dessert Sauce
For the fried bananas
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, coconut, baking soda and water to make a batter. Add more water if you batter is too thick, one tablespoon at a time careful not to thin it too much.
- Cut your bananas in half length ways.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1-2cm deep of vegetable oil for frying. Heat the oil. To test it is ready, place a small dollop of batter into the oil and if it bubbles when it enters the oil it is ready.
- Dip the bananas into the batter and place straight into the oil to cook. Flip them once the underside is nice and golden.
- Once they are cooked, remove the bananas from the oil and dry on paper towel to absorb any remaining oil.
- In a small dish, mix the coconut sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle the bananas with the cinnamon sugar on both sides.
To toast coconut and almonds
- If you have bought untoasted almonds and coconut you can toast your own. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread you coconut and flaked almonds on. Bake for about 5 minutes or until golden. Keep an eye on them as they will turn golden quick!
To serve your sundae
- Lay two halves of fried bananas onto a small plate.Top with one scoop of ice cream (or more if you'd like).Drizzle a good serving of Barker's chocolate dessert sauce on top.Sprinkle toasted coconut and almonds on top and enjoy!
If you’re needing more dessert inspiration, try my favourite cheesecake recipe! It is creamy, tangy and TOTALLY delicious!