Calling all hot cross bun lovers!
Do you have leftover stale hot cross buns at home and don’t want to waste them? Or do you have fresh hot cross buns at home, people coming over for Easter dinner and no dessert planned?
Well whether they are fresh or stale, this lemon and raspberry hot cross bun pudding is the dessert you need in your life. Trust me! It is tangy, fresh, creamy, warm and toasty all at the same time. Served with vanilla ice cream and you have yourself a 10/10 dessert that the whole family will love.
To give this pudding it’s unique flavour I have used Barker’s delicious lemon curd. I spread this onto the sliced hot cross buns and then top with flaked almonds for crunch and raspberries for freshness. The final step is to pour over a creamy custard, let it soak into the hot cross buns and bake until golden and crispy.
Have I convinced you to try it yet? If you do please be sure to let me know in the comments or on my Instagram!
Lemon and Raspberry Hot Cross Bun Pudding
- 4 large hot cross buns fresh or stale
- 300 grams Barker's lemon curd approx
- 125 grams raspberries 1 punnet
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 150 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1-2 tbs brown sugar
- butter for greasing the dish
- Butter a small square baking dish approx 19cm that fits 4 hot cross buns quite snugly.
- Cut each hot cross bun into 3 slices. Layer the first slice of each hot cross bun into the buttered dish and spread a generous serving of lemon curd on top. Layer 1/3 of the raspberries and flaked almonds on top of the curd and repeat with the next layer.
- Place the last layer of the hot cross buns on top and sprinkle the remaining almonds and raspberries on top.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, milk, sugar and vanilla together in a small bowl. Pour over the buns and stand at room temperature for 30 mins for the custard to soak in.
- While the buns are soaking, preheat the oven to 160° celcius. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden and the custard set. Stand for 5-10 minutes before serving and serve with ice cream or custard.
For another great Easter recipe why not try my Tropical Cheesecake Mousse Filled Easter Eggs!