These aren’t just regular lemon poppy seed muffins. No no. These are gobsmackingly delicious lemon poppy seed and zucchini muffins! Because who doesn’t love a sneaky vegetable in their morning tea muffin, I sure do.
The special ingredient in these muffins, Barker’s new zesty and vibrant lemon butter. The lemon butter helps in 3 ways for this recipe:
- Helps reduce the amount of oil and sugar used
- Gives the muffins their delicious lemon flavour
- Helps to give these muffins their amazing texture
This recipe makes 9 large muffins or 12 small, the perfect meal prep item the whole family will love. They make great lunch box fillers or a morning tea treat for your favourite co-worker. Bonus, they also freeze like a dream! If you make these on Sunday morning you can freeze them and eat them all week long without losing that fresh muffin goodness we all know and love.
Don’t skimp on the lemon…
Lemon has to be my all time favourite flavour to bake with. I love all things lemon, and these lemon poppy seed and zucchini muffins are no exception. If you love lemon as much as I do you won’t want to skip the added lemon rind in this recipe. It helps to cut through the sweetness and really boost the flavour profile.
As soon as you crack these muffins open you will see the flecks of finely grated zucchini. Mild in flavour the zucchini adds a wonderful texture and moistness to these muffins whilst giving them an added nutrition boost. Be sure to crack one open straight from the oven, or zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds before eating. You can’t beat a warm muffin!
For a bit of indulgence why not swipe a bit of butter onto a warm muffin, or for an extra treat add a dollop of Barker’s lemon butter. I hope you love these lemon poppy seed and zucchini muffins as much as I do! You will be counting down the minutes to morning tea every day when these are on the menu.
Lemon Poppy Seed and Zucchini Muffins
- 300 grams finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or flavourless oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Barker's Lemon Butter
- zest from one lemon
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cup self raising flour
- 1 tbs poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste optional
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake tray with 9 patty cases. This recipe makes 9 large muffins or 12 small.
- In a stand mixer combine the oil, sugar, lemon butter, lemon zest, vanilla and egg. Beat on high for 1-2 minutes until paler in colour and well combined.
- Sift in the flour and mix to combine. Add the poppy seeds and mix to combine.
- Squeeze some of the juice out of the grated zucchini and mix into the batter. TIP: Make sure you weigh the zucchini before you squeeze the juice out.
- Divide the batter across the patty cases and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. You may want to check on your muffins around the 15 minute mark if you have made 12 not 9.
For more morning tea recipe inspiration why not try my Choc Banana Carrot Loaf!
Leave a Reply