It’s strawberry season is Australia which means it’s time for my simple and delicious strawberry crumble. This dessert can be made in less than an hour, has no nasties and is made with pantry staples…easy peasy! It is sweet, slightly tangy, with a golden crispy crumble that pairs perfectly with yoghurt or ice cream.
So many crumbles on the market are packed full of sugar but this crumble uses the natural sweetness from the strawberries with a little boost from coconut sugar. Just 3 tablespoons to be exact! A gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free dessert that will curb those mid week sweet cravings.
If you’re like me and have stocked up on strawberries (because they are $1 a punnet) and now have no idea what to do with them, give this crumble a go. You won’t be disappointed!
TIP: the more ripe the strawberries are the sweeter this crumble will be. Don’t be afraid to use strawberries that may be on the verge of overripe, this is the perfect opportunity to use these up. No strawb left behind!
- 500 grams strawberries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or juice of half a small lemon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or any sugar you have on hand
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or any sugar you have on hand
- 40 grams vegan butter (Nuttelex) or regular butter if you don't need dairy free
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180° celcius.
- Hull and quarter the strawberries and place in a 20cm oven proof casserole dish. Sprinkle the sugar over the strawberries and the lemon juice, toss to combine.
- For the crumble, place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and using your fingers, work the butter into the mixture until it is combined.
- Spread the crumble over the strawberries and bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Let the crumble sit for 5-10 minutes and serve with yoghurt or ice cream. Enjoy!