This vegan chilli recipe is a lunch staple for me. Packed full of goodness, quick and easy to whip together and freezes like a dream for meal prep!
Not only is this recipe super easy it is also really budget friendly AND versatile! I have this for lunches and eat it different almost every day. You can serve it with rice and salad for a burrito bowl, scoop it up with crispy corn chips and guacamole or bake it like nachos!
If you’re having guests over this chilli also acts as an awesome dip alternative. You can make it the night before, give it a quick zap and BAM you have a delicious and nutritious dip that will have your guests drooling for more.
Basically you just need to raid that pantry and give your taste buds the mexican dinner treat they deserve, you won’t regret it!
A little note from the recipe, you can make your own spice blend using all of the spices I listed in the recipe or you can use a pre-mixed taco seasoning sachet from your local supermarket. I have quite a large spice selection on hand so find it easy to mix my own but if you don’t, or if you want to save time, a packet mix blend is just as delicious!
I used capsicum and carrots in the recipe but don’t worry if you don’t have these on hand. You can use any veges in this recipe to bulk it up. The mexican spices will infuse that delicious flavour into your veges and you won’t even know the difference. I am a big fan of using up my vege odds and ends in my recipes to reduce waste and pack my foods full of all the goodies. Trying to hit 2 serves of veges per meal is a lot easier when you are hiding them in ways like this.
Vegan Mexican Chilli
- 1 tin lentils 400g tin
- 1 tin black beans 400g tin
- 1 tin diced tomatos 400g tin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 brown onion
- 1 large red capsicum
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ground chilli add to taste
- 1 packet pre mixed taco seasoning
- lime wedges
- fresh coriander
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in olive oil. Dice the onion, add to the saucepan and saute until golden brown.
- Whilst the onion is browning, dice the capsicum and carrots. Add veggies to the saucepan once the onion is browned and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the canned lentils and black beans and add them to the saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients, diced tomatos, tomato paste, stock and spices.Note: You can make your own spice blend using all of the spices I listed above or you can use a pre-mixed taco seasoning sachet from your local supermarket. I always have these spices on hand so find it easy to mix my own but if you don't then a packet mix blend is just as delicious!
- Stir all of the ingredients together and let the mixture simmer over a low to medium heat for about 10 minutes. This allows the mixture to absorb all of the yummy spices and flavours.
- Serve with a splash of fresh lime juice and coriander and don't forget those crunchy corn chips!
So quick, easy and yummy! Definitely going to become a regular in our house.
Thanks so much Mia! So happy you liked it. x